- 25 minutes
- 15 minutes
- 1 hours 15 minutes
For 2 bread(s)
unsalted butter at room temperature
egg beaten in one tbsp of water (egg wash) and poppy seeds to finish
Flour for a white bread
The varieties of bread flour from Soubry have been specially developed to obtain a perfect result in the bread baking process, even with bread machines that demand a very high flour quality. Soubry bread flour contains a lot of high-quality proteins. These guarantee bread with a perfect crumb structure and a golden brown crust. These flour types form the base to which you simply have to add water, yeast, salt and other ingredients depending on the recipe.
This flour is a careful blend of fine wheat for a soft, beautiful and white crumb texture. Nice and light and flavourful.
- Put the flour and sugar in a mixing bowl. Break the yeast and sprinkle over the flour. Now pour in the water and mix well. Add the salt. Once the ingredients begin to mix and the dough begins to form, add the butter. Continue to knead it into a smooth dough.
- Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for 60 minutes. Divide the dough into 2 pieces.
- Flour your work surface and place the 2 dough pieces on it. Press each one flat to form a circle about 2 cm thick. Allow to rise for 15 minutes, covered with a kitchen towel.
- Place the dough pieces on a baking tray. Using your finger, press five parallel lines into the dough. Turn the dough a quarter turn and again press five lines into the dough so you get a diamond pattern. Work from the inside to the outside, leaving an edge free. Brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with the poppy seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
For more flavour, roast the poppy seeds in advance in the oven for 5 minutes at 180°C. You can also use sesame seeds or a mixture of both.
For a good crispy crust, you can add some steam. Put a bowl of pebbles in the oven to do this. Allow it to heat up. Just after baking, pour half a teaspoon of water onto the pebbles. Be careful not to get burnt by the steam.